Anxiety is the most common mental illness. Whether you have anxiety or not, learning more about it can only be beneficial.
So what are the different types of anxiety? Everyone who has anxiety, suffers from a different sort. Listed below are the different classes of anxiety anyone can be afflicted with:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder (GED): Ongoing Anxiety that interferes with a person’s everyday life. A person with GED is in constant worry.
- Phobias : Suffered from Extreme fear of a specified thing
- Social Anxiety Disorder : Suffered from Fear of Social interaction
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder: Suffers from repeated undesired thoughts, feelings, etc.
- Post Traumatic Stress Disorder : Triggered by a tragic/terrifying event that occurred at one point in a person’s life
- Panic Disorder : Suffers from having Fear and anxiety emerge routinely without cause
What are the symptoms? Well symptoms vary on the kind is anxiety one may have. They may have:
- Feel restless
- Continuous worry
We also have to remember to be patient and understanding with not only ourselves but with others who suffer from anxiety. Even though treatment is needed, love and acceptance is also needed to help a person get through the days when living with anxiety.
According to the Anxiety & Depression Association of America, here are some tips on how to be supportive:
- Learn about the disorder : Understanding the Disorder can help you be more supportive.
- Encourage treatment : Offer help by driving them to appointments/sessions or simply accompanying them.
- Realize and accept stressful periods: Be extra supportive during this time and don’t expect them to act a certain way.
- Remember that everyone experiences anxiety differently: Be tolerant, supportive, nonjudgmental, and also respect their feelings.
- Be encouraging and don't get discouraged: The little things do count, celebrate even the smallest accomplishments that your friend/family member achieves.
- Ask how you can help: Listen to them when they respond.
- Talk to someone: this can also be difficult for you also so make sure you have someone who can support you.
Treatment vary depending of the type of anxiety. It is important to know the different categories of anxiety. Even if you may not have anxiety, you may know someone who does and understanding what anxiety is and how to be there is necessary. It is crucial that we know how to handle this when we are put in a situation with anxiety and help is needed.